Tuesday 23 March 2010

Happy 100th Birthday Akira Kurosawa...

Following a curious 'Google doodle' on the main Google search engine page today, did I stumble across the fact that the legendary Director was born this day 100 years ago!

Another fact of trivia to add to my accumulation of all things to do with movies.

Presently own Seven Samurai as part of my DVD collection (the Bfi edition), which I bought sometime last year, as I recall.

Thought it was pretty awesome, definitely more authentic and emotionally engaging than The Magnificent Seven. Loved that sense of authenticity, far from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. A raw graininess, that no wonder lent itself towards a Western remake. Reminded me a little bit of the opening scenes of Ong Bak (a Thai village in peril from outside forces, needing to be saved). Though I'm sure that the two can't be compared (being of different genres), and in some circles could be considered ludicrous to mention in the same context.

No comments:

Post a Comment