Monday 29 March 2010

Daniel Craig's thoughts on Marc Forster...

I actually really loved Quantum of Solace. It's definitely my favourite Bond movie - and I'm well aware that I'm in the minority.

It's the most artistic, thoughtful and expressive of the Bond movies, that doesn't conform to the mould of expectation. Love that fierce, angry, tension that the movie dramatises, which just about finds it's resolve by the end.

Do we really care who or what Quantum represents? It's really a poetic metaphor to say: you can never really know who's behind things at the level of government and international politics. You think you do, but you don't. To use a crap Star Wars line from Episode I: "there's always a bigger fish"... To conquer all is a futile endeavour. And with the backdrop of that environment, Bond's connection with the audience lies in his battle re-establish some sense of peace with his soul, whilst continuing to live and do his job: serving and protecting as the unconventional anti-hero.

I think it's a big ask for an audience (familiar with a tried, tested, and worn formula for forty plus years) to accept, and I highly commend and applaud Forsters' courageous take, and achievement.

I would be happy enough for there NOT to be a follow-up, and would accept the duo of movies as something that chornicled the defining moments of Bond's formation.

I would be very curious to know Forster's reaction to audience perception of his Direction, as well as Daniel Craig's.

Research so far:



No comments:

Post a Comment