Tuesday 23 March 2010

Flash feature for 'Shutter Island'

Damn I missed it! Had it down in my diary as something to look back on, and study!....

But it's been replaced by three new features:

1. An advert for the Blockbuster Issue of the Magazine (which I have)
2. Inspirational Ingredients (for a Sports movie)
3. Best of Mike Judge

Items I'm not so interested in...

Occurs to me that there are about 5 Main Features at a time on the Empire website. Have to catch them quick before they disappear forever (even from the Archives). I don't think you can archive Flash presentations... Doesn't appear on searching the site...

From what I vaguely remember, there were about 8 main points from the presentation:

1.
Scorsese made the cast and crew watch Hitchcock's 'Vertigo' for preparation

2.
Influenced by Franz Kafka, Scorsese had apparently been reading a lot of that prior.

3.
The opening boat to island scene is a direct reference to some Japanese movie.

Bugger. I don't remember the rest. A lesson for next time I guess...

Another interesting article from the website by Damon Wise from 'Off the Wire':

Talking about the need for this movie in the current politico-socio climate. A different sort of entertainment, that's been very deliberately and purposefully considered.

Having seen the movie already, I agree with all that has been said, and found most of that article quite enlightening!

My own personal main points of observation and reflection directly after watching the movie revolved around: a minimalist approach (further consolidated by the use of John Cage music in the credits), the detailed setting for time period (I guessed it was Dinah Washington jazz vocals singing at the end), and the preoccupation with 'conspiracy'. I thoroughly enjoyed it! A psychological thriller bordering horror (as suggested by Roger Ebert in his review).

No comments:

Post a Comment