Saturday 6 November 2010

There Will Be Blood (2007)

Just finished watching There Will Be Blood for a second time...

Completely emotionally engaged with this the whole way through this time around. Remember finding this a difficult watch before. I don't think I understood it, or appreciated it - I just didn't get it. I guess I wasn't receptive to it at the time, and wasn't under the right circumstances ie. requiring all of my concentration, free from trivial distractions...

But reading up on it sometime afterwards, compelled me to give it another viewing. That the movie can be viewed as a wider metaphor for America's relationship with Money, Power and Religion make for a compelling and complex narrative. And being of a more serious, contemplative disposition on this occasion, my mindset was more receptive to the movie.
Viewing it this time around, you can see every frame has meaning. Every nuance, deliberate. The sonic choices deeply effectual to the story being told. There are no clear winners, losers, or heroic individuals in this epic tale. Rather an exploration of how things may have come to be, where the darker shades of humanity feel very fierce and palpable in poetry.

Loved it. Definitely on my list of favourite films.

No comments:

Post a Comment