Sunday 25 April 2010

Empire of the Sun (1987) - Rating: 3.5/5

A family movie. Something that was 'agreeable' for the whole family, downloaded in iTunes.

Have seen huge chunks of it before, but never in it's entirety. What resonated most with me was the insinuations and expressions of 'madness' in Christian Bale's character. Before, I was engaged and captivated by the sheer spectacle of the movie. But this time around, I'm more aware of the sentimentality of the movie, as well as a few contrivances that stretch belief (compared to something like Roman Polanski's 'The Pianist').

The theme of lost innocence and a disturbed childhood dominate the perspective and narrative of the movie. And John Malkovich's character is truly a reprehensible, almost non-entity...

Wasn't captivated by it as I have been in the past. Not sure if that was because of the less-than-enthused company I was sharing, or having given more time under more analytical scrutiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment